Subject: [Leica] Douglas Cooper for the very last time
From: imx <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:16:11 +0100

Douglas Cooper, in his queeste to prove me wrong wrote in part:

> I really don't find this comparison of the M3 and the M6 fruitless.  It
> offers a strong indication of the decline at Solms, and is the best argument
> for taking Erwin's site with a grain of salt.  Leica makes no money from
> it's earlier products, so it is very much in their best interest to convince
> Erwin (and through him, us) that the current products are an improvement.
> And in the absence of Erwin's refutation, it is pretty clear that they are
> not.

A fine and classical example of turning around the tables. Douglas Cooper
asserts without reference to ANY engineering fact, other than his aesthetic
sensibility and the factual occurrence of occasianal rf flare in the M6
(which he fails to correlate conclusively to a deterioration of production
quality, other than his assumption that he thinks that it should be the
case) that the M3 is a much better engineered and manufactured product than
the M6. Than he accuses me of not giving facts and arguments to HIS
satisfaction that I am unable to  disprove his fancy assertions. And thus he
is right unless proven wrong by me.

> By the way, the following from a single page on Erwin's site:
> This, my friends, is not objective criticism.  It is *ad copy.*

Is it?

> Summilux-R 1:1,4/50mm    The best 1.4/50 ever in the Leica stable
Indeed the best compared to the other Leica 1.4/50 designs. I can prove tis
by measurements and pictures. You are welcome to check my results against
all the other 1.4/50 leica designs.
> Vario-APO-Elmarit-R 1:2,8/70-180    The one that revolutionized Zoomlens
> performance
It did! For the first time a zoom lens had better performance at all
apertures than the comparable ff-lenses (with the exceptions noted) You are
welcome etc. I can give you lists of measurements and comparative pictures
to prove it. Or anyone else who does not believe it.
> Vario-Elmar-R 1:4.0/35-70    No compromise in image quality
?????
> Vario-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/35-70    Beating the fixed focal length lenses
See the 70-180 remark. Same story. I have the pictures and data to prove it.
Visit me and we can discuss it with a glass of wine. I have nothing to hide!
> Elmarit-R 2.8/180 APO and Summicron-R 2/180 APO    The current best
> performance for the R-system
Again: they are. Want to see the results. You are invited!
> Elmarit-M 2.8/24mm ASPH    A superb example of modern lens design
????????
> Tri-Elmar 1:4,0/28-35-50mm ASPH    A very fine lens now in a new coat
???????????
> Apo-Summicron-M 1:2,0/90mm ASPH    Redefining Summicron quality
Please visit my place and I will convince you!
> Apo-Telyt-M 1:3,4/135mm    Must be the best lens for the M
It is. Visit my home!
> Noctilux-M 1:1.0/50mm    A famous lens with remarkable capabilities
What is wrong with this statement. Ted raves more about the lens than I do.
> Summicron-M 1:2/28mm ASPH.    A new paradigm for Summicron-class lenses
relative to the current Summicron quality: yes: I have the pictures to etc.
> Elmarit-M 1:2.8/21mm ASPH and predecessors    The progress is visible!
It would be a shame if ity were not.

Dear Douglas:

If you do not believe my results, please skip my site! And delete my posts.
I ave not the slightest inclination to impress you or to convince you.
Be assured that most Luggers are intelligent  and down to earth people who
can judge for themselves what is the value of a post or a site. They do not
need you to decloak me as a fool who is training as an ad copy writer for
Leica

As the Vulcans would say: it is illogical to proceed from here. Live well
and prosper.

Erwin