Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie- 35 & 50 lens choices and M6 vs G2
From: "Victor Wek" <photvictor@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:52:25

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>For 50mm, you can buy a new Nocton, which according to various tests is
>sharper than the 50mm Summilux (although I personally prefer the >latter).

I have problems with someone lens testing. Currently I compared ‘artistic’
impressions between Canon new lenses 20-35/2.8mm and 70-200/2.8 (owned by my
friend) and my new 35/2 and 90/2.
Photos made by Canon lenses look dirty, flat. The focus is there, each
picture looks sharp but it is not sharp (it is difficult to explain), the
sharpness is washed up. Color transfer by Leica lenses is richer, different
then Canon. We both made photos on Velvia, on tripod, the same time,
aperture,  the same landscape… If we follow MDF the lenses have similar
resolution, but each photo looks differently. The Leica photos end up better
then Kiev 88CM photos (6x6) in terms of 3D and sharpness.   I had this
feeling long time ago, and my decision to buy Leica was based on that
feeling, I will get similar quality, with Leica what I get get out of
‘medium format’. Any journal compare medium format with Canon or Nikon, not
with Leica. If Leica give me 80~90 % what medium format can offer, this is
good for me.

I value comparison done by Erwin, because he uses old and new Leica lenses.
In terms of other brands, there is no comparison.

Victor