Subject: [Leica] HCB quote
From: "Robert Appleby Personal" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:59:02 +0100

Ah, actually, I just wanted to know if HBC said, "Photography doesn't
interest me, people do." And if so, in what publication?

Thanks

Craig

Craig, I didn't mean to stamp on you! But it did surprise me that such an
outrageous statement about prostitution could pass without comment even
here. Obviously I wasn't attributing the sentiment to you personally.

Funnily enough, I think HCB was _not_ very interested in people. SP in
general is pretty much motivated by formal concerns, which is what makes it
so different from documentary. He expressed an interest in grabbing the
essence of "life" - which sounds pretty abstract to me. His absurd and
pretentious habit of holding pictures upside down to judge the "composition"
confirms this, I think.

I don't believe HCB ever did the kind of in depth documentary stuff that
this statement of his would lead us to be believe. If MEM had said it, or
DAH or (pace BD) Sally Mann, I could believe it, but not HCB.

Didn't he also say that photography was rubbish? Maybe he felt threatened by
the large number of at least equally talented people in the business, and
had to set himself apart by holding a paradoxical distance from the very
thing that made him what he is, instead of a very mediocre painter.

I first started taking pictures years ago after seing a book of his
portraits and owe him at least that initial inspiration. But by now I
wouldn't miss it if I never heard his name or saw another of his snaps
again.

Rob.

Robert Appleby
http://www.robertappleby.com