Subject: Re: [Leica] More Viewfinder Questions
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:45:27 -0800 (pst)

To answer John Collier's inquiry about the Voigtlander/Cosina 35mm viewfinder:

I have been using a 35mm Voigtlander viewfinder with a Leica III for the past year and for me it is much better than any of the other 35mm finders I have used. They include the Alpex, Canon and Nikon mini-finders which lack the bright-line framing.

When I bought it I had the opportunity to compare it to the old Leica SBLOO 35mm finder. The Leica one is very nice and perhaps more aesthetically pleasing on top of a Leica, but the used example I saw was priced $300 more than the new Voigtlander. $300 buys me a lot of film.  Optically they are comparable. The Cosina/Voigtlander website shows a figure of .68 in the specifications which I am guessing is the magnification, but since I don't read Japanese I'm not sure.

The only minor problem I had with it was that the diopter magnification of the viewfinder was not optimal for my eyes. I solved that easily by adding a Minolta camera eyepiece diopter which fit it perfectly.

Hope this is helpful.

Robert