Subject: Re: [Leica] Here's a funny one...
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:30:25 +0800

> The poor thing landed on the rewind knob, which is now badly bent, and
> won't turn freely.

First, my commiserations! Secondly I have had the same problem twice and
rather than send it in to be fixed - not a very practical proposition fo rme
anyway since I am based in China - I bent the rewind lever back into shape
with my Swiss Army knife! Now this is not too hard to do if you are slow and
careful. I strongly recommend removing the rewind lever/knob from the camera
body though and this involves unscrewing a couple of bits with some loctite
type glue in. One or both screws are I recall reverse threaded: i.e. You
turn clockwise to unscrew. The replacement knob is extremely expensive:
about USD200 I recall. My M6s are used intensively so I was not bothered
about the slight threat to the finish but if yours is otherwise mint or you
want it to look pristine you will have to fork out for it.

Bests

Adrian

P.s. FWIW the M4 had a much more substantial rewind knob that is less likely
to dent if impacted. Another case of Leica quality going downhill...
- --
Adrian Bradshaw
Corporate and Editorial Photography
Beijing, China