Subject: Ken's Telyt photos (was: Re: [Leica] Change of topic: PHOTOGRAPHY!)
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 16 Mar 2001 14:57:37 -0800

On Fri, 16 March 2001, "Ken Iisaka" wrote:

> Armed with my newly acquired Telyt 1:6,8/400mm lens, I went to Bolinas
> Lagoon just north of San Francisco, to play Doug Herr.
>
> Surely, the 400mm is by far the longest lens I've ever owned or used, it's
> not really that long.  Quite a change for someone who rarely uses lenses
> longer than 75mm, it was quite a shock, though.  Despite being in the
> super-telephoto category, a small bird doesn't fill the frame, unless you're
> right up to it.  To get the likes of Doug's shots, you have to get REAL
> CLOSE to these timid subjects, and what's most amazing about his art is the
> way he can earn the trust of his subjects and get close.
>
> I'm still fumbling with the set up, and perhaps the most successful (or the
> least unsuccessful) photograph from the evening is at:
>
> http://briefcase.yahoo.com/kiisaka, under the heading, "Leitz Telyt
> 1:6,8/400mm photos."
>
> Not being a bird person, I cannot begin to tell what kind of bird it is.
>
> It was shot at wide open at 1/60 handheld at sunset using Fujicolour Reala 100.
> Most of the other shots were severely blurred.
>
> I realise that it will be years before my technique matches the quality of
> the optics.

Ken, the bird is a Snowy Egret.

It does take some practice to be able to hold it steady but once you reach that threshold it's not that big a deal.  Try sticking with 1/125 sec or faster for a while.

Also consider that I had been using a number of long lenses, as long as 640mm, for 10 years before I started using the Telyt.  It takes practice.

I typically have a couple of camera bodies loaded with different speed films so I can change quickly.  If the light is good enough that shutter speeds are faster than 1/500 sec I'll switch to a body with slower film, and when shutter speeds are slower than 1/100 sec I switch to a body with faster film.  I'll use the 1/60 sec shutter speed when I'm already using my fastest film.

Getting close IS a big part of the game, but if you want to practice, come visit Ancil Hoffman Park here in Sacramento County some time this month.  The wild turkeys are putting on quite a show right now; last weekend I used 4 rolls of film, using 250mm and 400mm Telyts.  When they're preoccupied with sex it's not hard to get close.  It's a forested area; I suggest at least ISO 200 film.

One trick I've used in tidal environments is to lie down on the pickleweed as the tide is coming in, allowing the rising tide to push the birds toward me.  It's best to do this while wearing clothes that you were going to throw out anyway.  The birds will not be as alarmed by the lower profile, and the gradually rising tide gives them time to figure out that you're harmless.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe