Subject: [Leica] cosina/voigtlander
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:21:53 EST

<<Cosina seems to have no ethics.  If they did, they would quit this hiding

behind the "Voigtl‰nder" name and would be honest enough to list their

products in their own name.>>

Marc,

I can't completely agree with you here.

While the use of the Voigtlander name is certainly a bit suspect, I think
that they make a few interesting niche products of quality that is
commensurate with the prices they charge.

Anyone who has used any of these lenses knows that they are pretty good...but
not great. With the exception of the 50mmf1.5 Nockton, I don't think any of
them are really in the same class as modern Leica gear.

However, I do think that some of them perform as well as some of the older
Summarons & Summarits...especially those which are showing their age with
haze and coating problems. Being that the Cosina lenses are priced in the
same realm as the used lenses of these eras, and considering they fit on
Leica cameras, I don't have a problem with them being talked about here.

The bodies otoh, I just don't understand. I received a few Bessa-R's with
problems that caused me to return 1/2 of them. With that fact, I decided to
just not carry these as I personally found them to be a bit junky... I don't
think I will carry the new body, unless it is a whole lot nicer than the L
and R models. I don't have a problem with other dealers selling them here
though, as in the end it just introduces more newbies to what is not exactly
an exploding growth field. I don't think they are "unethical" for selling any
of it, unless they are making untrue claims, which I don't think the
mentioned people in your message are?

In the end, the reason not to buy some of the Cosina stuff isn't "ethics" (at
least I don't see them as the Phillip Morris of the camera world, though I
understand many do.) it is just that they make a lot of stuff that is not
that good. Still, "different strokes" as they say...

One last note: on just about everything they have introduced prices have
started high and then dropped like a rock. I think this  is testament to what
kind of staying power these products will have. ;-)

cheers,
Rich