Subject: [Leica] Change of topic: PHOTOGRAPHY!
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:57:54 -0800

Armed with my newly acquired Telyt 1:6,8/400mm lens, I went to Bolinas
Lagoon just north of San Francisco, to play Doug Herr.

Surely, the 400mm is by far the longest lens I've ever owned or used, it's
not really that long.  Quite a change for someone who rarely uses lenses
longer than 75mm, it was quite a shock, though.  Despite being in the
super-telephoto category, a small bird doesn't fill the frame, unless you're
right up to it.  To get the likes of Doug's shots, you have to get REAL
CLOSE to these timid subjects, and what's most amazing about his art is the
way he can earn the trust of his subjects and get close.

I'm still fumbling with the set up, and perhaps the most successful (or the
least unsuccessful) photograph from the evening is at:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/kiisaka, under the heading, "Leitz Telyt
1:6,8/400mm photos."

Not being a bird person, I cannot begin to tell what kind of bird it is.  It
was shot at wide open at 1/60 handheld at sunset using Fujicolour Reala 100.
Most of the other shots were severely blurred.

I realise that it will be years before my technique matches the quality of
the optics.

- -----
Ken Iisaka <first name at last name dot org>
Still lost in Mill Valley, Marin County, CA.