Subject: [Leica] FW: NIGHTLINE: National Geographic
From: Justin Ide <justin_ide@harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:19:28 -0500

FYI in case you are up late tonight

Justin Ide
Staff Photographer
Harvard University
Office of News & Public Affairs
1060 Holyoke Center
Cambridge, MA  02138
Phone: 617.495.8837
justin_ide@harvard.edu
http://www.news.harvard.edu

- ----------
From: Nightline <listeditor@abcnews.go.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:57:44 -0800
Subject: NIGHTLINE: National Geographic

TONIGHT'S SUBJECT: What does it take to make just one article in the
National Geographic? Start with 40,000 pictures.

- ---

I'm a really bad photographer. I admit it. I went on vacation to Africa
once, and came back with thousands of pictures. Somewhere, in some of
them, there were animals. But you had to look very closely to try to find
them. Even my closest friends and family ran when I brought out the photo
albums. If I want to feel worse about my lack of photographic skill, all I
have to do is look at an issue of the National Geographic. It just doesn't
get much better than that. Each photo is stunning.

One time, years ago on assignment in Brazil, I ran into a photographer
from the Geographic. He had spent six months in the Amazon. He was quite
proud of the fact that he had shot a full roll of film in that time. For
tonight's show, one of our producers followed another Geo shooter on
assignment in the Columbia River gorge. He ended up shooting something
like 30,000 pictures. And almost every one of them is great. We follow the
whole process of winnowing those down to the dozen or so that are finally
chosen to run in the next issue, which comes out next week. It's a really
wonderful program, told in the words of the Geographic staffers.

And there's something else about the Geographic. No one ever seems to
throw one away. I think there are millions of those old yellow covers
stacked up in attics and closets all over the country. It just doesn't
seem right to toss them. I have stacks of them in my house too. There are
just some times that you want to get away from it all, and all you have to
do is open one of those yellow covers and you are transported to another
world or another time. Tonight's broadcast will give you a sense of just
how much work it takes to accomplish this.