Subject: RE: [Leica] Bessa-T... Long
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:52:42 -0800

The following was posted in the LF NG and gives a perspective on camera
reviews....
From Paul Butzi, who is talking about a LF camera review written by Kerry
Thalman....

The best review is the sort Kerry writes terrifically opinionated but also
explaining
enough context to make it make sense to the reader.

As Hamlet told us, "There is nothing either good or bad, but
thinking makes it so."  Similarly, there are no good cameras
or bad cameras; it's our intended use that makes them either
good choices or bad choices.

It's a big mistake to think that the only reason for equipment reviews
is to convey information about the product being reviewed.  Good
reviews educate about the ways equipment can be either well or poorly suited
to a task.  My needs and wants do not always match Kerry's, but I've learned
so much from his reviews about WHAT I WANT that I'll happily
and eagerly sit down to read anything more that he chooses to
write.

Some folks agree with my opinions, some
disagree.  The common theme is that virtually everyone appreciates
up front, honest assessments, regardless of whether they
find it applicable to their decision making or not.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net