Subject: Re: [Leica] Bessa-T - let me get this straight...
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:43:53 -0800

Let me see if I get this straight...

Mr. Brick  is willing to condemn something (in this case a camera), that he has
neither seen or used.   If  he doesn't like the Bessa T, great,  but his
comments would probably be a lot more informed  if he bothered to inspect one
before jumping to erroneous  conclusions.

Mr. Brick rakes the Bessa T over the coals based upon on inaccurate
statements,   by completely ignoring the success of roughly  roughly TWO
MILLION rangefinder cameras whose success show most of  his arguments  are
untrue.[ (550,000 plus  knob wind Leica Screw Mounts (screw mounts with 50
finder, IIIg not included), 96,000 Nikon Rangefinders (One to S2), 227,000
Canon Rangefinders (Hansa to IIF2), 75,000 ?? Contax Rangefinders (I to IIIa),
plus a Million plus (if Russian figures are to believed) Leica Copies].
Almost all of these cameras had only ONE built in finder, the 50. Any other
focal length required a separate finder.  If you wanted a large bright 50
finder, the best way to get it was with a separate finder  -- just like the
Bessa T.   More screw mounts were built than M cameras.  The concept of
different finder for different lenses worked well for them, regardless of
whether or not Mr. Brick likes it or approves.

Mr. Brick's statements about the the supposed inaccuracies from switching from
the Rangefinder to a separate viewfinder  simply aren't true, at least not if
you are a careful photographer.   Search the LUG archives.  You will find much
praise of the Leica Screw Mount cameras, you will find few if any  photogs
complaining about the problem Brick describes.    I don't remember anyone
complaining about focusing  inaccuracy on  their knob wind Leica, Contax II or
IIIa, knob wind Canons, or earlier Nikon Rangefinders because they had to
change from the RF window to the auxiliary 85/105/135 finder.    The same is
true of the Nikon Rangefinders and Canon Rangefinders.  So what if you focus
first  and then switch to the different viewfinder?   If  THAT  resulted in
focusing inaccuracies,  either you were very inept, or shooting a moving
subject that you would probably be better off with an AF SLR anyway.

Another way to think of the Bessa T is similar to an M mount IIIf -- but
without the 50  finder.  With both you focus with the rangefinder, and then
switch to the accessory finder for a large bright view.     The Bessa T is a
retro camera, a different style of taking pics, much like the pre-M camera
era.  If you don't happen to like that shooting style, great.   It's not for
everyone -- that's why we have SLRs.    But to claim  this RF shooting style
results in inaccurate focus is just nonsense.

Mr. Brick also ignores that  the Bessa T is intended as an entry level M
camera.  Comparing to a $600 camera to a $2000 one really doesn't make a lot of
sense, especially when the Bessa T will focus more accurately than the $2000
.58 M6 or .72 M6.   Of course he could compare the Bessa T to the new $600
Leica M camera -- but there  isn't one.    Not everyone has the money, or the
inclination,  or the virus,  to spend $2000 on a camera -- without even a lens.

Unlike Leica for the past quarter of a century or so since the discontinued
CL,  Cosina is trying to offer people a low cost way into the M system.

I think that is something to be thankful for, not something to complain
about.    Besides, the way Leica is going, all production might switch to
handbags -- Cosina would then become the largest interchangeable lens
rangefinder manufacturer in the world.   oops.....I take that back.  They
already are.

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Bessa-T - let me get this straight...)
Reply from Mikiro Mori <arbos@mac.com> (Re: [Leica] Bessa-T - let me get this straight...)