Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica repair questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:50:41 -0500

At 07:00 PM 3/15/2001 -0500, Steve LeHuray wrote:

>I often wondered about that myself. I believe Leica used to have an old
>fashioned apprenticeship, I do not think they do that anymore. I wonder
>where the repair people of the future will come from?

The choice is hardly Leica's!  The German government mandates the
apprenticeship system.  I cannot speak for Leica, but Zeiss certainly still
uses this:  I have a prism on my desk, the manufacture of which is one of
the tests these fellows have to pass at Oberkochen.

But, as Leica no longer assembles true LTM cameras and only repairs these
in Canada and Germany, I would suspect that the opportunity to qualify as
an apprentice LTM repair person has "done come and gone", as it seems they
say over in Gloucester County, Virginia.  But, then, DAG and Van Stelten
and Ken Ruth were never employed directly by Leitz/Leica, and these guys
are as slick a craftsman as has yet come forth, so I suspect all is not
lost.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!