Subject: [Leica] Viva Valoy
From: "w.gower@netmail.home.com" <w.gower@femail.sdc1.sfba.home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:16:55 -0500

Re: Valoy's

> My old Valoy and Focomat use standard 1.25 or 32mm tubing for the upright.

>>Have you by any chance fitted a larger column - either the Leica one or a
>>home made one - to yr Valoy II? I wonder how best to get bigger prints >>with mine - 11x14 or 12x16 seem the upper limit. It also seems to me that >>the head is too close to the column to raise much higher without the image
>>projecting on to the column??

This was my thinking exactly. The head and column arrangement is too tight to go larger than 12 x 16.

I recall some corospondance with a LUG'er who put an extended column from a Focomat I on a Valoy and the max print size was 14x18 or thereabouts.

A good machinist could make a extension that would bring the head out an additional 6 or more inches - that, combined with the extended column, should do it.

I did some work in a rental space last night and I had a terrible time making a 16 x 20. The only easle available was a 20x24, and the damn thing jammed up against the enlarger column. The largest print I could manage was 14 x 18. Not what I wanted at all.

I've got to get my own space soon. Argh !

Regards

William

- --

William Gower