Subject: Re: [Leica] Question about Jupiter lenses:
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:43:33 +0100

> So, after adding the necessary screw to bayonet adapter they should work,
> yes, but it is worth taking greater precautions when buying Soviet lenses
> than those from other sources. Try to ensure you get a refund option and
> check them out as soon as you can.

Agree. Saw a Jupiter 12 with mis-screwed rear element... Was about 12 degrees
off optical axis... :)

But some of them are really worth buying:

Russar - good quality on center, rectilinearity, compactness.
Not rangefinder coupled, so be warned...

Jupiter 12 (2.8/35) I have one - very, very sharp design, self-
contained in sunshade :-), nice Biotar copy

Jupiter 3 (1.5/50) - one of rare Sonnars in LTM :))) - Noctilux
at a tight (50$ ?) budget, sharp wide open, very little flare,
light...

Jupiter 9 was also told to be good, but one I tried was hopelesly
soft... Returned.
- -----
                                St.
                     (Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy)
              http://www.geocities.com/Stanislaw_Stawowy
            Echelon/Carnivore lines: Bob Black, Hakim Bey,
           Ralph Klein, Sabotage in the American Workplace