Subject: [Leica] Re: Thumbnail size
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:44:13 +1100

Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> wrote:

> I went looking at lots of photographers sites but always
> found the big pix too small.

... and then again I get whinge-mail from 15" monitor users
that my 4020.net images (max 520 pix high) are too big!

You can never win.

BTW, on the topic of thumbnails - I _strongly_ suggest you
do not just dump a raft of separate thumbnails onto a page.
Although individually these things are small, the separate
server connections required to load them all will slow the
page display down incredibly!

The best solution I have found to this is to supply the
thumbnails as a single image strip of 25 thumbs.  I then
HREF these via a image-map.

This way the user only downloads one thumbnail image, and
not 25 separate little images.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds