Subject: Re: [Leica] Thumbnail size
From: Doug Herr <>
Date: 13 Mar 2001 07:47:38 -0800

On Mon, 12 March 2001, "Craig Semetko" wrote:

> Hello gang,
> I'm dangerously close to finishing up my website but I have a pressing
> question. I would like a small but adequately sized preview thumbnail for
> each picture. Then an appropriately sized enlargement should appear when one
> clicks on the thumbnail. My question is this: Is there a standard
> file/actual size for thumbnails and corresponding enlargements? Or tried and
> true file sizes? Obviously, I would like the downloading time to be as short
> as possible. But I do not want the image quality to suffer.  I mean, hey,
> that Leica glass has to have a chance to show its stuff, right?
> Thanks for your time,
> Craig

Craig, for the thumbnails I'm not too concerned about the image quality suffering.  The idea behind my thumbnails is to grab attention quickly, so I try to keep the size down for fast downloads with slower modems (and I have a perfect "worst case" modem at home).  I also try to keep the number of thumbnails per page to a workable minimum, again for quicker downloads.

Once the visitor has clicked on a thumbnail, he/she has decided to look at the image in detail so my full-size images are higher quality.  My recent full-sized image files are typically limited to 600 pixels in the longer dimension to allow reasonable downloads consistent with good image quality.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!
 250 FREE hours! Sign-on Now!

Replies: Reply from "Michael E. Bérubé" <> (Re: [Leica] Thumbnail size)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <> (Re: [Leica] Thumbnail size)