Subject: Re: [Leica] WE WUZ ROBBED!-Copyright law
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:56:11 -0500

No!   It is automatically copyrighted as soon as you take it.  Registering
it with the copyright office only gives you the right to sue for punitive
damages and recover attorney's fees when you go to court.  It must be
registered within 90 days of publication to give you these rights.

"Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed
form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the
property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those
deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim
copyright."  From the copyright site.

I know this stuff because I have to!

Tina

At 04:19 PM 3/12/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Tina,
>
>I could be wrong, but I believe that is true providing you have actually
>registered your work with the Copyright office. Just saying it is
>copyrighted does not make it so.
>
>Steve
>Annapolis

Tina Manley, ASMP