Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: PAW #10 [Bérubé]
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:43:33 +0100

Hi Michael,

On my monitor the farmland also looks like water, although I do see detail in
the trees. It is a very challenging kind of image from a scanning point of
view, with its high contrast.

And you are right, an LCD screen may not be the best way to edit your images,
since most of the people looking at them will likely be using regular monitors.

Nathan

"Michael E. Bérubé" wrote:

> At 12:04 PM 3/11/01 +0100, Tim Spragens wrote:
> >On 11 Mar 2001, at 0:43, Michael E. Bérubé wrote:
> > > http://www.goodphotos.com/01wk10.html
> >
> >This may be a scanning/display problem, but if you are showing so
> >much foreground, I'd like to see more detail in it. If this isn't on the
> >film, I'd crop up about a fifth, between the foreground water and that
> >above.
>
> Tim,
> It may be a display problem. I'm using a ThinkPad laptop as my primary PC
> at the moment. (I'm thinking of getting a MAC dedicated just to imaging.)
> On this little LCD monitor I've some tree detail in the foreground (not
> perfect but it is a low res scan from print.) That there is no 'foreground
> water' (just trees and farmland) in the image speaks to how poorly it must
> be displaying on your monitor Tim. This seems to be a common problem that
> I'm having. Photos look ok on my laptop, but are much darker on some other
> monitors. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to make an image uniformly
> display well on the greatest number of viewers monitors? I do have a gray
> scale .gif on my Nature Portfolio page for the adjustment of a monitors,
> but should I place on each page with each image? or is there something else
> that I can do to better the situation? (And I agree that it is incumbent on
> the site owner not the viewer to try to make it easiest for the viewer not
> the other way round.)
>
> Thanks for the comments Tim.
> Carpe Luminem,
> Michael E. Berube