Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: A REPLACEMENT TOPIC
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:52:32 -0500

At 01:56 PM 3/10/01 -0800, Mark Cohen wrote:

>What about Jock Sturges http://www.agallery.com/sturges.html and Sally Mann.
>They both took pictures of Nude children (With their parents (and
>permission)..

I think that they are both marginal photographers at best relying more on
the provocative nature of  their subject to carry their 'child' work. The
photos that I've seen that they have done (few) which didn't involve
children in sexually charged situations are good enough to make me wonder
why they lean so heavily on that topic.

>Robert Mappelthorpe too took photos of nude boys. (With their parents
>permission) There is one in the Perfect Moment.

I like many of the images that Mappelthorpe took of adults and objects.
(Though some are crap and cliche too.)

>I think its perfectly acceptable to take pictures of nude people of ALL
>ages. (Though Im sure I wouldn't want to see my grandmother like that, Im
>sure someone has done it and it was art)
>
>I would think the only RULE that be approriate here would be don't take
>pictures of nude people w/o written consent.

I agree. Children are NOT (by definition) of the age of consent and
therefore not able to make that call. Parents who pimp out their kids for
such projects are pretty much amoral in my book.

>-Mark *Who has yet to get anyone to take off their clothes for his camera.
>:( * Cohen

Lots of folks out there who will actually even pay you to get boudoir
images of a higher quality than their own Elph on a self timer.
(then again maybe Mainers are just more sexually adventuresome.) HA!
:)
Michael