Subject: Re: [Leica] Delta 400 and 400 Delta New Ilford films
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:00:51 -0800

henry wrote:

> Thats not what I've found.
> In my limited test the new film is finer grained.
> What chemistry did you use and how did you use it?
>
> Henry

Henry did you shoot the same thing with both films and make prints from both at
a matching apparent contrast?
I can't see who other then doing that would really tell you.
Looking at a neg under a microscope does not tell you as they will inexplicably
print with more or less grain than you think. The prints have got to be contrast matched.

I think Ilford has come up with Delta 100 and 400 films. They have to be pretty
smart to have done this.
The 3200 I'm less impressed with as it's really 1200.

But still these guys have a lot going for them.

So would they shoot themselves in the foot by screwing up their Delta 400?
I'd assume not unless proven otherwise.
I'm sure it has been tweaked in the right direction.

It had occurred to me though that Neopan 1600 might be eating into their 400 sales.
That is what happened to me.
So if the 400 became an 800 film that would fight that.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/