Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 24/35/50/75/110
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 11:55:24 -0800

>I sold my 24 a couple of weeks ago. Magnificent lens. But I didn't use it
>very much. I CANNOT STAND external viewfinders. And I found f/2.8 on an M
>camera way too restricting. Everything else I have is f/1.4 . I use my M
>camera in places where I cannot easily use my R camera or Hasselblad. I
>will give the 28/2 a try when it becomes available here. I have it on
>order. No external finder and a stop better than the 24.
>[snip]
>Jim

And if I recall I emailed you privately and asked why, such was my
astonishment.

I personally don't like external viewfinders either, but I like the ability
to frame my shots as precisely as possible and so live with slight bulk and
inconvenience of the external VF. And as for the slower 2.8 maximum
aperture, agreed - I'd much rather have a 24/2, but - good lord - a 24
Summicron! How much would that cost? The mind reels! And frankly, faced
with choosing  a 28 Summicron or a 24 Elmarit, I would choose the 24
without a moment's hesitation. Here's why kids...

- - the 28 just don't seem wide!
In this world of obsequious if not to say ubiquitous 28-85 zooooooms and
the like, the ol' 28 seems little more than a beagle in the dog show of
wide angle lenses. The 24 focal length is more like an Afghan or Russian
Wolfhound - unmistakable line, bearing and posture. When you see a shot
made with the 24, you notice it! Makes you want to stand up and salute.

- - the 28 distorts less!
Yes, that's right - it distorts less! And before any of you timorous
converging-vertical-o-phobes exclaims in a whiny voice: "But Guy, I can't
hardly control the w-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-de view of that Russian Wolfhound of a
Wide Angle without the whole world a-goin' all topsy-turvy on me!", let me
just say that the 24's ability to pull the world apart and stretch it
hither and yon is a *positive* virtue to be used to your advantage. If
converging verticals disturb you, hold the camera straight, goddammit! Lean
against a pole or tree, squeech up or squat down to get the perspective you
want but keep the camera straight! And when you *want* that distorsion, let
'er rip! Lay on the ground, point the camera up, tilt your head at a 38°
angle and shoot like a teenager in a highschool! The world is yours!

Why drink koolaid when the gods made vodka?! Reach for the BIG gulp! And,
as you're slaking your wide angle thirst on the cooling elixir of the 24,
enjoy that absolutely retina tickling ASPH SHARPNESS that'll make your
eyeballs itch with excitement!

Gonna run out right now and shoot with that 24!!!

Guy

Message from Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com> ([Leica] FS: Lenses and RW)