Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon Woes (why you should buy leica)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:19:39 -0500

onetreehillclw wrote:

> Canon and Nikon always discontinue parts so you have to
> buy new equipment! Other camera makers do the same.
> I'm happy that I can still send my III off to be cleaned and
> lubed. It was made in 1934.
>
> Down with Canon!!!
>
> Chris Williams

I'll risk a response -

The 50 1.8 lens is so damn cheap and ubiquitous, that for an autofocus
lens it is undoubtedly cheaper to replace it than repair it...Certainly
it's cheaper to replace it with a used lens. That's number one.

And second, it's a good deal harder for a manufacturer such as Canon or
Nikon, that actually manufacturers and sells a really broad array of
products to keep a full inventory of repair parts for old items than it
is a Leica, which manufacturers comparatively few products.

I'd be interested in knowing which Nikon bodies since the F2 Nikon can
no longer repair...And God knows there are enough independent repair
people around who can repair Nikons back to the F...as to the lenses, I
think it's pretty much the same thing for the Pro equipment. But I may
be proven wrong...

And the real issue here is not which manufacturer keeps more parts on
hand longer, but which camera you like and want to use - for what ever
reason. Most people on this list would be swearing by Leica even if they
couldn't get parts for bodies manufactured pre-WWII.:-)

B. D.

Message from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Canon Woes (why you should buy leica))