Subject: [Leica] Thanks & Film/Airport Security
From: Robert Clark <rclark@desupernet.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:55:11 -0500

Hi all...first a big thanks to all who responded with the location of La
Maison du Leica.  I hope to visit, see the inventory, and engage in some
Leicatalk.  Now another question before I depart for my trip and it
concerns film and the airport security / xray machines.  In my previous
trip, I only took a few rolls and bought most of what I used in Paris.
This time, it's different.  I will be taking rolls of Fuji Color 100,
Kodachrome, and ten each of HP5 and XP2.  Should I be concerned about
the film going through the security machines?  On other trips, I have
removed the film from the cannisters and placed them into transparent
plastic bags for visual inspection; however, I only had a few rolls.
I'd like to keep the film in the boxes but I'm afraid the security folks
will insist they go through the machine. So, I will probably put all
film into plastic bags.  I plan to purchase several rolls of Ilford 3200
while in Paris to use inside.  Should I be concerned about it going
through the machines because I understand the security people at Roissy
- - Charles de Gaulle do not conduct hand inspections?  Maybe I can just
mail the film to my home address and not take it myself.

Looks like I'll be taking my M6 and 50mm Summilux....have decided not to
acquire a second lens before this trip.....I think....although there's
still time!!!!!  That 24mm Elmarit whispers to me in my dreams....the
90mm Summicron whispers to me while I'm awake!!!

Robert Clark
Lancaster, PA

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Thanks & Film/Airport Security)