Subject: [Leica] RE: Chicago Auto Show 2001 Photos
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:42:27 -0800

Off the top of my head, I think you are seeing the result of the Nyquist
limit. The scanner's scan frequency is very close to the film grain
distribution frequency. This causes a moire, a jaggie, an uneven clumping,
and many other not wanted effects. And, of course, the grainer the film,
the easier it is to get these effects with consumer low res scanners.

A very hi res drum scanner will not have these problems since the scan
frequency is thousands of times higher than the grain distribution
frequency. So each piece of grain is scanned at a thousand intervals and
the space before it is scanned at a thousand intervals, as is the space
after it. So there is a plethora of information and when reassembled,
accurately represents the original.

A low res scanner will possibly hit a space, miss the grain, hit a space,
miss a grain, etc, producing a large void, and as frequencies beat, the
scan will hit a grain, miss a void, hit a grain, miss a void, etc, causing
a large density area. This will look like clumping and turn your Pan F in
Xtol negative into a Dealt 3200 in Rodinal print.

Color doesn't get off scot-free. Kodachrome is B&W film and has grain. E6
has color globules and these can be disbursed at a frequency to cause color
clumping, color moire, color jaggies, etc...

The same problem exists in digital camera sensors as the pixels are evenly
spaced and the spacing frequency may limit the lens resolution. Too much
resolution will cause these problems since the pixels will be missing
information at an exact frequency, therefore dropping out evenly spaced
picture elements.

OK, I'll stop now...

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Feliciano di Giorgio" <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Chicago Auto Show 2001 Photos)