Subject: Re: [Leica] zoom scandal
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:54:13 -0500

I long ago ceased to apply any rational economic principals to
fetishists/collectors' markets.  I sold a vintage model of a Super
Constellation on eBay several months ago to a Swiss collector who thought
that its "true value" was close to USD $1000.  I thought that it was worth
about USD $25  when I bought it at a local flea market.  Go figure.  Again,
on the basis of the evidence, all the participants in this recent "scandal"
thought that the lens was underpriced, to what degree and against what
standard is anyone's guess.  Would any of this been an issue if someone
posted a mint. Noct. for sale at USD $1000?  I doubt it.  Lowi was
admirably straightforward when he explained that his motive in the whole
business was "to turn a quick buck."

I often quote (from memory--so excuse any inaccuracy) a line from Joyce's
Stephen Daedalus when I explain the origins of market capitalism to my
students (to distinguish it from the "moral economies" of pre-modern
societies--and to introduce the subject of historical antisemitism, as
well):  "A merchant is one who buys cheap and sells dear, Jew or Gentile as
he may be."

If I may venture a judgement, what's distasteful about the whole thread is
its venality or, rather, such naked exposure of it.  It's hardly polyannish
to wish that this sort of thing remained off-list.  Heavens, one of the
great pleasures of LUG conversation is that it so seldom has anything to do
with the world we actually inhabit.

And on this note I quit the subject.

Chandos

At 07:20 PM 3/7/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Chandos Michael Brown wrote:
>
> > At issue here is an underpriced commodity, which folk covet for various
> > purposes.  Collier, in the spirit of LUG comradeship, however ill-advised,
> > pointed out its true market value.
>
>Chandos,
>
>"Underpriced" at more than the new price ?
>
>"True market value" thanks to whom ?
>
>;-)
>
>Lucien

Chandos Michael Brown