Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Piezography - real print or not?
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 07:57:20 -0800

The definitions are simple. With a vintage print, you're usually dead
and that's the term the scavengers, sorry I meant investors, use for
your work. It implies that it was printed during the time of your
creative vibrancy. What really makes these prints worth so much, is that
they are done at the expense of eating and paying the rent and on an
indecent amount of borrowing moneys from friends and family to survive.
They, of course, will never realize any return on that inconvenience.
These prints as a rule, are not archivally done, and are a conservator's
nightmare. So piezo away with abandon.

With an archival print, in the glow of artist hubris you're hoping that
it will be worth something someday, and you ain't dead yet. Unless you
are a California photographer or artist, then you are bound by law to
take certain actions and be held accountable to a variety of remedies to
protect the investors. Whose friends, by the way, in the California
legislature were
so kind to codify into law our responsibilities within the open market
place of the print buying world. An archival print follows the rigorous
guide lines set by our culture of rampant consumption in using the most
amount of resources in generating that rarefied final product we call a
print. The term archival is now a mnemonic cue that says that "this is
worth something," and never you mind the content.

Slobodan Dimitrov

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Piezography - real print or not?)