Subject: Re: [Leica] 280/2.8 R Modular vs. non-Modular
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:50:24 +0100

David Freedman wrote:

> I know there are lots of 280/2.8 Apo owners/users on the list so ....
>
> Assuming one had no interest in the 400/2.8 lenshead, is there any
> compelling reason to prefer the modular version of the 280/2.8 over the
> older, non-modular incarnation? I've handled both and, to me, the earlier
> 280 seems far more user-friendly. It's lighter, easier to focus (because the
> focusing ring isn't partially obstructed by a *huge* tripod mount as it is
> on the modular), is more packable (not having the carry handle excresence of
> the modular) and, being a single piece, should be more resistant to internal
> dust and other contaminents. Are the two versions optically equivalent?

David,

This what I wrote about it on the LUG two years ago:

"Go for it. The handling is much better than with the
APO-TELYT-R MODULAR 280 f2,8 and the quality is superb.
Difficult to believe that the APO MODULAR is better. (but
whit Leica nothing is impossible!)
BTW, I never saw a comparison of them or even a test of the
MODULAR system alone.

The ergonomic of the APO 280/2,8 is so good. Each time I use
it, I love it more.

If you buy it, be sure that the aluminum case (+ carrying
strap), the rubber palm-grip, the lens carrying strap and
the UV
filter (E112) are include.
The second version is blessed with a filter drawer at the
back.
Be also sure that the neutral filter is inside the drawer."

For information about the lens quality, we have now the just
released Erwin Puts' LEICA LENS COMPENDIUM (ISBN
1-897802-17-X) in which, for the first time AFAIK, the
Apo-Modul system is tested. (The previous APO-Telyt 280/2,8
is also tested).
<http://www.hovebooks.com/printers%20new.htm>
List of the lenses tested in the book:
<http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/lensreports/lensreport.html>