Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: Those fast 180 R lenses
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:38:12 +0100

Chris Quinn wrote:

> And my final question, which is not intended to question the divinity of Mr.
> Puts, whose incredible efforts I greatly appreciate: is the 180f2   really
> and truly   incapable of being hand-held? If the 280f2.8 was capable of it
> (it came with a palm-rest, no?), wouldn't the 180f2 also be managable? With
> a palm rest? A shoulder-stock? Not even with a monopod? Does anyone have
> experience with it hand-held? I'm not a body-builder (this lens could change
> that), but I have enough experience as a target-shooter (3 position .22
> rifle) to know how to manage my breathing/heartbeat/trigger-release....

Chris,

I've found the non-Apo-Modul 280/2,8 with palm rest easier
to use handheld than the 180/2 with the same accessory.
Like the 105-280 is easier to use in that configuration than
the 70-180 APO.

It's a matter of balance.

The physically longer lenses are easier to balance handheld
in my experience.
The Apo-Extender also improve the balance.

The same happen with the Sidekick from Wimberley (great
stuff BTW).
<http://www.tripodhead.com/sidekick.html>
The longer the lens, the easier it is to find the balance.

But in any case, all the four lenses I mentionned are not so
easy to use handheld.

Lucien