Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson Printing in black and white
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:38:49 -0600

>Has anyone had experience trying to use the piezography inks on Epson models
>870 and above?  Apparently there is a chip in these later models (mine is a
>875DSC) that will not permit the software to recognize the piezo cartridges.
>This seems relatively anticompetitive in my view.  Does anyone know of a way
>around this (other than a class action suit)?
>
>Adam

No.

Being able to use other inks and cartridges is not a free ride as you
might think.
Unless you buy only the most famous of the available inks and papers you
are gambling with the work you produce. MOST of the inks and paper
combinations have not been tested together. When you put them to use they
might last 25 years or 25 weeks and you don't know which.

Buying Cone's Piezography and using it with a paper they've tested is
probably safe. You have a known combination that gives known results. (as
much as this can be with accelerated tests)

Buying Epson's latest printer/ink/paper is probably safe in terms of
getting a desired, guaranteed result.

Buying "Bubba's Inkjet Paradise" Inks and printing them on an unknown
paper will give you results that no one cannot guarantee. What good is it
if you save $10 and all your prints fade or crack or change color?

If you want Piezo, buy a cheap 860 and put Piezo in it. Don't complain
that your little printer won't do everything under the sun. Its a cheap
little machine that will do things that no printer could do a couple of
years ago.

Hellfire boy, there wasn't even such a thing 10 years ago!!!

And even now there is no one machine that does it all.

If you want to know how to make nice B&W prints with your 875, contact me
off list and I'll suggest how.

Henry