Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Piezography
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:52:56 -0500

At 07:05 PM 3/5/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Thanks!
>
>Looks as if the 1160 and 860 take the same inks, software, etc. -- they're
>basically the same printer, in wide and narrow carriage.
>
>That software ain't cheap...  (I know, I know -- I'm a contradiction in
>terms:  the broke Leica photographer).
>
>This is exciting, however.  I'll print my own color in a real darkroom, and
>do black and white at home!  I'm particularly interested in doing panoramas
>(which seem quite doable on these printers); I have a project involving the
>panoramic aspect ratio with no hint of landscape (perhaps even in portrait
>orientation).

It's even worse, Douglas.  Jon is coming out with color Piezography within
the next month or two.  You'll need another printer!  I have a refurbished
3000 sitting here waiting.  You'll never go back in the darkroom after you
see Piezography!

>Is this one of the printers that's good with heavy-weight paper?  (Again, I
>assume that if the 1160 is, this one is.)

One of the disadvantages of the 1160 is that it doesn't take paper as large
or as heavy as the 3000.  Now how relatively heavy that is, I don't
know.  My 3000 hasn't choked at anything yet, but a 3000 is a gamble.  The
5000's and 7000's are supposed to be great, but they are out of my price
range until I hit the lottery!

Good luck -

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP