Subject: [Leica] Re: Macro on SL
From: Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:38:27 -0500

Doug:

Thanks for the advise and recommendations.  I don't know enough yet
about Leica to know if I want to spend $1,500 for a macro lens so I'll
look around for the f4.0 Elmar.

Great owl shot by the way.  I used to live in Oakland 30 years ago...
never saw an owl there.

Jim "still waiting for the incredibly-over-hyped blizzard in Boston" Hemenway

Doug Herr wrote:

> On Mon, 05 March 2001, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>

> > So, here goes with another new guy question?  What is an R3?
> >
> > And... Is there a macro lens that won't deplete my wallet that'll fit
> > the SL?  I'm used to paying $500 +/- for Nikon and Pentax macro glass,
> > what would I expect to pay for a 100mm Leica macro.  Am I looking at
> > Rollei 6008 lens prices?
> >
> > Jim
> >

> There have been 2 100mm Macro lenses for Leica reflex cameras.  The older f/4.0 Elmar may be close to what you're accustomed to paying, but the current f/2.8 APO-Elmarit will set you back the equivalent of one of Tom A's used cars (~$1500).  The f/4.0 Elmar will only focus to 1/3 life size or so without extension tubes while the spectacular APO-Elmarit-R focusses to 1/2 life size, and uses a matched Elpro to reach 1:1.
>
> The R3 was the first Leica with an electronicly-time shutter, made from about 1976 to 1980.  The viewscreen IMHO is not as good as the SL's unless you prefer having a split-image focussing aid in the center.  Early R3 production was very buggy but I suspect that any R3 operating now will continue to work.  The R3's viewfinder is not as bright as the SL's.  If you want a bright viewscreen with the split-image focussing aid the best option is to have your favorite repair tech install the SL2's viewscreen in your SL.  IMHO the SL's viewscreen is easier to use with macro subjects and when I get my beater SL2 CLA'd I'll get an SL viewscreen installed.

- --
Is obair-la` to`iseachadh
- -Gna`th fhacal
Ach is obair beatha criochnachadh