Subject: [Leica] meter's shmeters
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:39:28 -0800

"Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" wrote:

> > In the old days there were Extinction Meters....
>
> Already have one: BEWI Junior...
>
> > there were incorrectly exposed negs and development by inspection.
>
> Uhm... What about my humble person's photos then?  :-)
>
> > Mentally Judging exposure is a check for what the lightmeter says,,,,,
>
> I was always Mentally Different :-)
>
> > Never trust a light meter without judgement,,,,,
>
> Never trust a lightmeter. Use it only when you forgot your ASA setting
> and can't set shutter speed.. :-)
> -----
>                                 St.

The effete amateur esthetic!!
Out guessing or ignoring a meter!!
That's baloney!!!!!
We've had a few others on the list who had this attitude.
We pummeled them into submission and they slunked off to the dark rocks they
crawled out of!!   :)

I've used a lot of meters since 1965 and never thought for a second i knew more
about how much light was hitting it than it did. With the exception of Selenium
meters i add a stop to in low light.

I don't think it benefits people to mistrust their meters.
I know lots of excellent photographers many of them pros. I cant think of any of
them who would use a meter which was less adequate in measuring light then they were.
Many of them use meters which not only MEASURE the light but interpret it
(matrix whatever)
But the top people i know know how to use the (acurate) information the meter
gives them.
If they are metering highlights. The then know how much to open up to place
thier highlights there.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA