Subject: [Leica] Re: Bad Traders alert
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:56:17 +1100

Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>BTW, if anybody else has been scammed, then drop me a note off
>>list and I'll include these in the FAQ as well.
>>
>>Although this kind of anti-social behaviour cannot be stopped,
>>it shouldn't go without consequences either.

>I hope you have a good lawyer.  It could be nasty if you end up libelling
>(or is it slander?) someone.

No.  I was a corporate lawyer 10 years ago, so I am hardly
going to make those kind of simple mistakes.

The list will simply be a short statement of facts.  Eg.

"C bought lens from X on dd Mmm YYYY.  Despite the funds being
transfered, X did not deliver the lens until 3 months later."

"B bought what was claimed to be a mint condition M3 from Z
on dd Mmm YYYY.  When the camera arrived it turned out that
the veiwfinder was fogged and the top plate had 4 deep scratches
on it.  Z admits he sent knew the finder was fogged and body
was scratched, but has refused to refund the money anyway on
the grounds that "what did you expect for a 40 year old camera?""

This sort of thing.  Not libellous.  Not defamatory.  Just facts.

It actually works quite well amongst the DAT taper community.
I also believe Phillip Greenspun also has a similar 'copyright
theft alert' page on his photo.net site.

And if after all this, anyone is daft enough to try and come
after me... well, good luck.  I am a non-US citizen permanently
resident beyond the borders of the USA.  :?)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds
<http://nemeng.com>  -> vr java applets, leica faq, tech info