Subject: Re: [Leica] FS 35-70 f2.8
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 23:35:52 -0800

"Dr. Joseph Yao" wrote:

> on 4/3/01 10:28 AM, Rolf Katzenstein at rgk@farmington.com wrote:
>
> > The abuse heaped on John Collier for his benign comment....
>
> Yes, it was a benign and naïve comment, but since I have been somewhat
> affected by his remark, I think he deserved all the abuse he received! ;-)
><Snip>
> This I cannot agree more.  Again, the root of the problem is down to Leica's
> failure of meeting customers' needs.  A company of such repute would
> discontinue a product leaving many back orders unfulfilled is quite
> astonishing.  I doubt cost was the real issue, as that would have been
> easily overcome.
>
> Joseph

How much could Leica afford to lose in the makings of such a lens?
	...anyone know the exact figure?
Now they can afford to loose more perhaps now that they've got the $ backing of Herme's.
If Herme's will tolerate it.
35-70 f2.8 is not a mass consumer item if any Leica lens is.
It is more of a pro item. Amateurs don't need fixed apertures they're not using
studio strobes.
A 35-70 f4-5.6 is a consumer item. Or a 35-70 f4 even.
These are lenses the masses ask for when they buy their first body.
But a Leica body? Sure and for a nice chunk of change.
But a 2.8? Faster then most need and darn hard apparently to make to Leica's standards.
I guess they decided that the loss of cash per unit on the few they'd make would
be that much too much.

I don't think Leica is characterized by 'continuing ineptitude".
If i did i wouldn't be using their system or be on this list.
I think what they've done this decade has been mainly brilliant. With some
mistakes I'm sure.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA