Subject: Re: [Leica] PC or Mac?
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:23:51 +0100

Craig,

Contrary to some of the other respondents, I would not buy a new PC (or Mac).
You have plenty enough computing power in your current system. What you lack is
memory and disc storage. I recently upgraded my Pentium II, 350 Mhz system from
128 MB to 256 MB RAM, and the improvement when running Photoshop has been
dramatic. I can now work with 50 MB files without any trouble, whereas before I
was slowed down by the constant writing to the disc cache. So, get as much RAM
as your motherboard will support. The second thing you need is a larger hard
disc; your PC most likely has a spare disc bay, so you do not even need to get
rid of your existing HD. You can simply add, say, a Maxtor 40 or even 80 GB
disc. With those two add-ons, you will be all set.

Nathan

Craig Semetko wrote:

> Hello gang,
>
> This is a little off-topic but at least its not about UV filters. I am
> considering buying a new computer. In the past, I have only owned PCs and my
> primary use was word processing and surfing the internet. Now I have a Nikon
> 2000 scanner and epson 1270 printer and am having trouble saving large files
> to a CD writer. In fact, my current set up (Gateway Profile, 64 ram, about
> 400mhz Pentium) locks up when I try to save large files to disk. Scanning
> negs and slides and creating and manipulating my own web page (along with
> word processing) are my new criteria for a computer. Does anyone have an
> opinion based on experience if a PC or Mac is better suited to these needs?
> Are there advantages that the Mac has over PCs? And finally, would a simple
> upgrade to 128 ram do the trick?
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Craig

- --