Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: Photo criticism (Was: New Photos)
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:53:51 -0500

Dear LEG and LUG -

I would not have put the photos up if I didn't want to hear honest
criticism about them.  I, too, wish we would be more honest with each
other.  Photographers are notoriously bad editors of their own work.  We
can never improve if all we hear is praise of every image.  I just wish I
wasn't sick so I could answer more coherently!

The difference between these photos and my Central American ones is that
there is not the same connection with the people.  I was in and out and
couldn't talk with them or even learn their names.  In Honduras and
Guatemala, I live with the people for days and don't even start taking
photographs until they are used to me and my cameras.  If I could have done
the same with the Masai, the photos would be totally different.

The thing is that when I put the Masai photos with my stock agency, they
will sell better than the Central American photos.  They are bright and
colorful and they show a different culture that not everyone gets to
experience.  Black and white photographs of rural families are hard to sell
as stock.  So I have to do both - some for me and some to sell.  Or as Ted
says, some for their soul and some for their clothes.

I welcome constructive criticism.  It's not constructive to say "I love it"
or "I hate it" or "It sucks."  Tell me why. Ben mentioned using the PSA
critique of pics using Technique,
Impact, and Composition.  That's a start.  It's hard for photographers to
step back enough to criticize their own work.  That's where lists like
these could be invaluable if we are honest with each other.

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com