Subject: [Leica] Earth quake
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:22:25 -0800

Mark,
    If, my memory holds, you are from Seattle....
    How did you survive the earthquake?
    Any other Seattle Luggers, Please respond also.
Here's hoping all's well,....

Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA
****************************

Here in Edmonds (20 minutes north of Seattle)at my office damage was very
minor, but we were really rockin' and rollin' for about 45-60 seconds. And
we're only in a little two story bulding. I talked to some friends who work
downtown in highrises and they said it was a bit unnerving being 40 stories
up and having the building wobbling around. The only damage we had was a
picture of mine falling off a shelf and the inexpensive glass frame
breaking.

My daughters preschool didn't have any damage and things seemed pretty calm.
My wife left work and went home to check out the house and the only damage
there was a picture in my daughters room falling and the glass breaking. The
dog was apparently happy to see people home early. Our house sits on pretty
dense glacial till, unlike the Starbucks building (old Sears/SODO building)
which sits basically on reclaimed mudflats. Most damage appears to have
occurred in this area south of downtown where the soil conditions are quite
good at amplifying earthquake energy. It sounds like Harborview hospital
downtown had admitted 20+ peole for EQ related injuries, a few which were
serious, but no reports of deaths so far.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle