Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Are UV filters "safety glasses" for the lens?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:57:39 -0500

Michael - I am certainly more with you than against you. I use my M
because it is a rangefinder, a quiet, dependable, rangefinder, not
because it is a Leica. If Nikon had maintained its rangefinder line my
guess is that"s what I'd be using today because I like those bodies.

Yes, Leica lenses are great. My 35 1.4 ASPH can't be beat. But I am also
very happy with my Cosina 50 and 75. Like you, I am not blowing anything
up to 30x40, and I am not shooting slow slide film. I am shooting Tri-X,
almost always rated at 800 or above, and what I care about is the
"picture," not the micro resolution. And, yes, I would rather lose a bit
of contrast than lose a $1500 lens. No question about it.

All of which explains why, after being cowed into retiring my UV
filters, I have lately started hauling them back out again to put them
into service. Okay, I'll take them off when I have to shoot into the
sun, or under otherwise horrible flare and reflection producing
conditions. But otherwise...It's time for some photo safe sex!;-)

B. D.