Subject: Re: [Leica] Marrakech - off topic, almost
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:48:55 -0800

>I will be going to Marrakech for ten days in two weeks time, and as I
>have had a lot of good advice from LUGgers for other trips, I would
>like to solicit advice for this one too. Accommodation has been
>finalized,  so no nothing in that regard is needed. Black-and-white
>Leica shooting tips would be most welcome.
>--
>Christer Almqvist

Christer,

I was in Marrakech in January '97, during Ramadan. I spent my days
(unintentionally) fasting and wandering through the city, which is quite
beautiful and different from many other Morrocan cities. For one thing, the
medina is practicable. You can explore it easily and won't immediately get
lost (not true of the Fes medina). There is also an incredible amount to
see, more than in other cities in that wonderful country. Here are a few of
the sights that impressed me, and that I will return to during my next
visit:

the Djemma el Fna (extremely lively central square near the Koutoubia minaret)
the souks and kissarias (and the medina in general)
Dar el Glaoui - a former palace in ruins
Saadian Tombs - tombs of Marrakchi pashas and princes
El Badi Palace - another former palace
Jardin Agdal - a HUGE, beautiful park with a gigantic reflecting pool
Jardin Menara - another
Jardin Majorelle - a beautiful house, whose gardin is open to the public.
Once belonged to the French painter Majorelle - the house is painted in the
shade of blue named after him, and now belongs to Yves St Laurent.

And don't forget to eat! Morrocan food is one of the most exciting (not to
mention absolutely delicious) cuisines on earth. I had an excellent meal at
the restaurant "Le Marrackchi" on the Djemma el Fna. Get the Bastilla (ask
for it with pigeon) and the Tangia (with camel meat, if possible).

A great city! Have a fantastic time and post your pictures.

Guy

P.S. Reconsider shooting some color!