Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Canada or Germany?
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:18:18 -0800

> On Tue, 27 February 2001, "Steve LeHuray" wrote:
>

> > BMW a German company now owns Land Rover a British company, Mercedes now
> > owns Chrysler an American company. Somehow all these companies,
including
> > Cosina, by right of ownership can lay claim to whatever reputation the
old
> > company had prior to the new ownership. So I do not understand why you
are
> > obsessing over this. It-is-what-it-is.
> >
> > Steve
> > Annapolis
> >

> In the early 1950s, before people associated "Made in Japan" with high
quality goods, a town in Japan was re-named U.S.A. so that their exports
could legitimately be labelled "Made in U.S.A.".  By itself the country of
origin means very little especially now that components are made all over
the world.  I'm more concerned about performance.

The then-township of Usa (now city) was incorporated in 1955, but the name
derives from the Usa shrine, which has stood on its location since 725 A.D.
Whatever the ulterior motive there may have been for naming the township as
such, it is at least legitimate.

http://www.oec-net.or.jp/~usa-city/