Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's Picture of Week 8
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:59:40 +0100

Guy,

Many thanks for the nice comments. I am not familiar with the particular picture
by Rodchenko, but I am naturally attracted to this type of shot. In this case I
was walking around the Vespa, taking shots of it from various angles, and then I
noticed the chromed surface and the potential for a reflection shot. I must
admit that the composition was improved by some cropping in Photoshop, but that
is within my self-imposed limits on manipulation -- I permit myself to do only
those things in PS that I used to do in the wet darkroom, i.e. overall exposure
and contrast correction (Levels and Curves), spotting the image (Rubber Stamp),
occasional dodging/burning, and cropping.

Kind regards,
Nathan

Guy Bennett wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> I like your self-portrait. The subject itself doesn't give anything away at
> first glance - the eye gets caught on the smooth black and gray shapes and
> surfaces that - cropped in close - create a powerful composition that
> borders on abstraction. Only a moment later is there a glint of
> recognition: the photographer himself appears in the reflection. Nicely
> done. I think this is my favorite of your PAW shots.
>
> There is a rich tradition of photographic self-portraits, many of which -
> this one included - are "specular" self-portraits. This piece seems to be
> the grandchild of Rodchenko's 1933 "Chaffeur" in which a pipe-smoking
> chauffeur is caught - in reflection - in the mirror of his car. At second
> glance, one notices the photographer taking the shot over his shoulder.
>
> Guy
>
> P.S. There's a wonderful book of photographic self-portraits that I'd like
> to recommend: "the camera i" (L.A./N.Y.: L.A. County Museum of Art/Abrams,
> 1994). It includes a great series of self-portraits of everyone from Nadar
> to Witkin.
>
> >Last Wednesday I went to see a motorcycle show at Zurich's Messe. While
> >drooling over all the nice new bikes inside, I also kept an eye on what was
> >parked outside and noticed a classic Vespa, with a beautiful coat of black
> >paint and lots of chrome. I used its headlight as a mirror for a
> >self-portrait of sorts. Have a look at:
> >
> >http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/pawindex.htm
> >
> >Comments welcome and appreciated as always.
> >
> >Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland