Subject: Re: [Leica] Praktica - was Noctilux Canada or Germany?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:39:35 -0800 (PST)

Ray Tai wrote:
(Snip) . . . I recently saw brand new Praktika screw lenses on display
at a local dealer and looking at the quality I thought that brand
deserved better.
Ray,

If you mean that you thought Praktica deserved a better reputation than
it has, I think the issue is really the variability of the quality of
its products. While capable of producing cameras and lenses of high
quality, the company also produced more than its share of "lemons".
Poor quality control seems to have been a problem with many Eastern
blok cameras.

To be fair, however, 24 years ago I bought a Praktica SLR with two
screw-mount lenses (28mm and 50mm). The lenses were very good and I had
no problems with the camera until, after about three years of constant
use, the meter developed a fault. At the same time, I also noticed
mould growing on the pentaprism, so I got rid of it.

Regards,

=====
Ray