Subject: Re: [Leica] Fighting windmills?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:02:11 -0500

Erwin-
You have it! The question is like those age old debates about women,
religion, and politics! A lot of smoke and hot air, but it never seems to
burn itself out!
Personally, and I have discussed this with my unidicted co-conspirator Bob
in our skull sessions about split printing, I think that we as a group for
get that we are dealing with a SYSTEM.
I had chided Bob since his negatives all seem to print on grade 00 or 1 for
the most part, and I had told him to lower the contrast index of his
negatives. He follows the directions religiously, but wonders why others
complain that they need grade 4 1/2 to 5 to get good results.
I pointed out to him that not only did he use Leica glass, which is
inherently snappy and contrasty, but he also has the wherewithal to have one
of the best, most expesnsive enlarger setup and with a top of the line
Scneider lens, he has a system with very little flare, and even if there was
a callier effect in play with his negs, he has a very 'contrasty' system!!
Some of the younger folks complaining on the printing list are no doubt
young, using cheaper lenses, or perhaps older lenses with more flare, and
are using enlargers that might need a good coating of matte black paint on
the inside, and are using $10 enlarging lenses because that' all they can
afford- these are the ones needing 4 1/2 to 5 grade paper to print.
I think by and large we all forget that the camera lens, and the filter or
lack thereof, is but a small part of the overall image producing system!!
For some it may well make a significant difference, for others, the effect
of a filter would be lost in the 'noise' of the rest of their system!
Erwin- more power to you, but you are right that this is like tilting with
windmills! At least we can't fall off the horse in our version!!
Dan ( Bruised and battered) Post