Subject: Re: [Leica] Are UV filters "safety glasses" for the lense?
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 27 Feb 2001 08:33:43 -0800

On Tue, 27 February 2001, "Austin Franklin" wrote:

> Most humans don't walk around all day with safety glasses on

<big SNIP>

Much can be argued for and against the use of clear filters to protect the front of a camera lens and which side of the argment one lands on is gonna depend on personal priorities.

I'm not about to tell anyone they're paranoid about image quality or paranoid about protecting their expensive lenses.  My priorities are my issue, not any one else's.  Depending on circumstances, there may be some image degradation from using a UV filter.  Again, depending on circumstances, there may be a risk of damaging an unprotected lens.   Each of us needs to decide which risk is the lesser evil.  For me, it's

NO UV

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com