Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Canada or Germany?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:09:38 -0500

> I don't understand your point.  Cosina is a Japanese company, located
> thousands of miles from Germany.  As far as know (and in part this is what
> I am trying to find out), Cosina has no connections with Germany, other
> than they bought a trademark (Voigtlander) which previously belonged to a
> German based company.  Yet, Cosina advertises their products as somehow
> being associated with Germany, but I see no connection whatsoever.
>
> I am not referring to people being assiciated with a company due to buying
> their products, I don't understand this analogy.   Why would I call myself
> "Dan Cardish - Photographer (Germany)", unless I had studios or offices
> etc. in Germany?   I don't question Kyocera referring to their lenses as
> Carl Zeiss Germany, since they have an active arrangement with a German
> manufacturer, even though production may take place in Japan.   But what is
> the connection in Cosina's case?
>
> Dan C.

BMW a German company now owns Land Rover a British company, Mercedes now
owns Chrysler an American company. Somehow all these companies, including
Cosina, by right of ownership can lay claim to whatever reputation the old
company had prior to the new ownership. So I do not understand why you are
obsessing over this. It-is-what-it-is.

Steve
Annapolis

Replies: Reply from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] Noctilux Canada or Germany?)