Subject: [Leica] Summicron Collapsible.
From: Peter Zak <pzak@desidero.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:18:46 +1100

Hugh Thompson wrote:

"Peter, would like to hear from you regarding your experience with this
lens.
Erwin says it is not very good at 2, needs to be stopped down - have you any
comments?"

Hugh,

I've only had the Collapsible Summicron for about 1 week (the good one I
found, not the fogged paper weight I returned).

There are perhaps others on this list who have owned and used this lens for
far longer, and who would be able to give a much better assessment of its
qualities.

I have only put one roll thru it - Scala which was rated at 400 ASA - so I
didn't really shoot it wide open, mostly at f4-5.6.

Basically I was stunned at how good it was.  I've more or less stuck a UV
filter to the front of it to protect the extremely soft front costing.  The
lighting was extremely contrasty, the results were magnificent.

I had expected this lens to be somewhat soft, especially compared with my
mew 50 'Cron, surprise surprise.

I'll put some slower film thru and let you know the results in the next
week.

Best Regards,

Peter Zak.