Subject: Re: [Leica] Lense testing...
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:33:42 -0800

Yes!  My similar experiences with the Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8 AF and 20mm 2.8 AF
were what drove me to Leica.  And not necessarily limited to a specular
light source being directly in the field of view -- even if just outside the
field of view.  True regardless whether the sun, a streetlight above the
subject at twilight, a spotlight in a cafe or on a stage, or a light on a
building at night. Veiling flare predominating over the entire image, like
placing pre-exposure on Zone VI!  I asked the online Nikon rep on compuserve
at the time, and got no response.  Several chimed in, asking if I used a
lens hood.  "Uh, ... yeah, but last I heard a lens hood doesn't help a lot
when the light source is in the field of view!"   A Leica user said said to
try the 19mm R lens, and the rest is history.  The only Nikon feature I miss
is the narrow angle spot meter the N90 had!

Tom

> Here's an interesting side note on flare, ghost images, and the Nikon
80-200 f2.8 zoom.  In normal (non-backlit) situations the lens performs
quite
> well and is the mainstay in most photojournalists camera bag, but try and
shoot a backlit subject where the sun (or other light source) is directly
> hitting the front element, and you might as well use a coke bottle
instead.  It is that bad.  In harshly backlit situations, fixed focal length
lenses

Message from Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net> (Re: [Leica] Lense testing...)