Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Lense testing...
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:21:09 -0500

> Erwin Puts just wrote an article in the current Leica Fotografie, testing
> the use of a UV filter. Also with the article is printed pictures showing
> exactly what learned people already know. A filter can cause flare where
> the lens alone will not. Pretty hard to argue with the visual proof. Which
> anyone who uses filters of any kind, and takes l-o-t-s of photographs,
> knows first hand.

Absolutely agreed.  But he didn't mention what filters he used for his
pictures, nor did he mention provide any data to back up his assertions
listed in the article.  The pictures he provided, as you say, demonstrate
the flare effect that most anyone who has taken more than a few rolls of
film knows about.  It is also given that flare is better/worse depending on
what filter is used.

No one that I know of has ever refuted that filters can increase flare, that
goes undisputed, and is not the issue at hand.  The issue, for me, is
general image degradation.  Measuring flare is something for a later
endeavor, which I would like to do, and will discuss with the lab while I am
there.