Subject: Re: [Leica] Lense testing...
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:42:55 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> I want hard numbers.<<<<

Austin my friend,  I realize once a person gets on a "find out at all costs"
process there isn't anything another can say to convince them right or
wrong, effect or no effect .

Much like climbing to the top of Everest if only to prove it's there.

I fear me old son that when you find the outcome, your time and money will
prove absolutely nothing in relevance to your picture taking and the money
could have been better spent as a meal for a few cold and hungry people!

I also realize this is a much too practical manner of thinking in the heat
of a scientific test. I feel and it could be a major error on my part,  that
this "experiment-test" will merely give ammunition to throw down as a
gauntlet by either side of differing opinions.  And sadly the battle will
drag on indefinitely, I truly hope this is not the case.

In the end of course, regardless of the "technically proven optical
measuring equipment,"  each side wont change their minds as it would be
human nature folly do do otherwise.

Will there be such a great sense of satisfaction for one person over another
in the results and end this forever "filter thing?"   I fear not!

In reality, a great number of photographers go about daily picture taking
with nary a thought of nothing more than using a filter for creating an
effect on their film which may or may not enhance the end result.

As for myself,  rarely do I use filters. However, when I do, they are for a
special effect of enhancement and I do so without any thought of degradation
of image. Only, "hopefully this filter will pop the image a bit and make it
look better!"

ERGO: I look like a clever inspired intelligent creative photographer!

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant