Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh - today only!
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:53:41 -0800

I have the Nikkor f/1.4 fifty From the Fifties.  It may very well have
Nissan bokeh (a.k.a. Dead Drunk Bokeh).  I bought it years ago to replace a
Leitz Summitar f/2, which had very smooth, pleasant BMW bokeh at f/2 even
in the *in*-focus areas.  Since I buy fast lenses in order to actually
*use* them wide open, and since the Nikkor gave me a usable f/1.4, I was
pretty happy with it.

Now that I have been Initiated and have Obtained Enlightenment at the feet
of the Zen Bokeh-San master, I realize that I should be ashamed of this
lens.  But shelling out over a grand USD for a 50 Summilux is not one with
my Current Socio-Economic Millieu.  I'm lucky I've got Leica stuff at
all.  So I guess I will have to forgo the MercedesBenzBokeh and settle for
a Lesser State.  Forgive me if I continue taking pictures anyway.

Having seen examples, I do believe that bokeh is real.  After seeing some
shots with the Voiglander Nokton 1.5, there was no way I was going to toss
my even my humble Nikkor in favor of itl  However, I'm not sure anyone but
view camera types can really control it.   And I've got to agree with B.D.
and Ted, that what counts is the in-focus part of the picture, and if you
don't have that, all the bokeh in the world won't help you.

Those who have the luxury of buying Summiluxes and Noctiluxes with abandon,
more power to you.  But it sure is interesting that Leica is now designing
lenses that many agree have harsh bokeh, but are the sharpest things known
to humankind in-focus.

Uh-oh. Hey, B.D., what do you have to eat up there in your room...?

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA